As you all know, heartburn starts off as indigestion and leaves you with pains in your stomach, burning in your chest, and a sourness in your throat, and then it graduates to acid reflux. It happens when stomach acid backs up into your esophagus. Basically, heartburn is the main symptom of GERD, sometimes called peptic ulcer disease. This pain can be so severe that some people believe that they are having a heart attack. When food passes through the lower esophageal sphincter muscle, it closes, preventing food and acid from coming back up. Reflux occurs when this valve does not close all the way or when it relaxes at the wrong time, which can allow the acid from your stomach to flow backwards.
Some of the most common medicines are Tagamet, Zintac, Pepcid. But though most of these treat heartburn quickly, they have side effects.
So what to do? Well, nature has the cure.
- An effective way of treatment is to cut off food that increases acidity. Some of these are tomatoes, citrus fruits, fried foods, artificial sweeteners, garlic, onions, chocolate, coffee, and alcohol. So basically, stop or cut down on tomatoes, citrus fruits, fried foods, artificial sweeteners, garlic, onions and chocolate. Nobody has time to give up coffee and alcohol.
- Try to not drink any fluids while you are eating as fluids dilute the enzymes in your digestive track.
- Switch from regular milk to almond milk. Almond milk is able to neutralize foods that are acidic — meaning it will cut down on reflux issues.
- Get a ripe banana as it will adhere to the lining of your esophagus and calm down any irritation.
- A clinical study in India gave one group of patients Prevacid (lansoprazole) and the other group was given ginger. The ginger was found to be up to eight times more effective than the Prevacid. Ginger can block acid and suppress helicobacter pylori. Ginger also stops the formation of ulcers. Drink a cup of ginger tea before or with each meal.
- Drink lots and lots of water.
- Vitamin D is important for just about every function of the body. Increase vitamin D levels through sensible sun exposure or consume a vitamin D3 supplement. This is where nudism helps.
- Aloe vera juice is a natural anti-inflammatory that can help stop some of the symptoms of reflux. Drink ¼ to ½ cup of aloe vera juice before every meal.
- One teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in about a glass of water eases most heartburn (basic chemistry)
- Folate or Folic acid (B9). A study done in 2009 showed that higher levels of B vitamins reduced levels of acid reflux by 40 percent. Raise you folate levels by eating more spinach, beans, okra, and asparagus.
Well these natural remedies are for physical heartburn and acid reflux.
For mental heartburn, i.e. cases when you get friendzoned or dumped or as in the case of Cheapo, disqualified from the human race, alcohol is the only solution.